And the 65th Miss Universe is… FRANCE!!
24-year old Iris Mittenaere, from Lille, was crowned the 65th Miss Universe during the live gala held January 30th at the Mall of Asia Arena in Manila, Philippines. Mittenaere, a student of dentistry, broke France’s 63-year drought and became the second french Miss Universe titleholder after Christiane Martel conquered the title in 1953.
The French beauty conquered the judges with her views on immigration and border policy, an issue that has taken the news by storm during the past days after President Trump’s strict measures to keep the United States free of attacks.
Iris will now travel to New York where she will be based during the next year and collaborating with some of the Miss Universe Organization’s official causes such as Aid for Aids, the Cordaid Fund and Pass it Forward among many others.
Soon we will post a review of the entire event.
- Miss Universe 2016: Iris Mittenaere, FRANCE
- 1st Runner-up: Raquel Pelissier, HAITI
- 2nd Runner-up: Andrea Tovar, COLOMBIA
- Top 6 Finalists: Mary Esther Were, KENYA; Maxine Medina, PHILIPPINES; Chalita Suansane, THAILAND
- Top 9 Semi-Finalists: Siera Bearchell, CANADA; Kristal Silva, MEXICO; Deshauna Barber, USA
- Completed the Top 13: Raissa Santana, BRAZIL; Kezia Wareuw, INDONESIA; Keity Drennan, PANAMA; Valeria Piazza, PERU
- Best National Costume Award: Htet Htet Htun, MYANMAR