Miss Universe 2017: Crowning Photos and Trivia
Last night, Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters from South Africa became the second ever winner from her country to win the crown 39 years after Margaret Gardiner won in 1978. Nel-Peters is from Sedgefield in the Western Cape. She was the first winner from this province in 17 years.
* Colombia continued their impressive in the last four years with another top 5 placement and in this short space of time, they collected one title, 2 runner-up spots and a second runner-up position.
* Jamaica got their third top 5 placement in 7 years. It's also the second highest placement they have ever achieved at Miss Universe.
* It was the second year in the competition that Thailand progressed to the penultimate round of competition. Both girls were huge favorites for the crown.
* Venezuela placed in the top 5 for the first time since 2013, which was the longest top 5 drought for them since the early 90s.
* The Philippines got their 8th successive semi-finalist placement showing that they will continue being a force to be reckoned with. Brazil achieved their 7th consecutive semi-finalist placement.
* Canada placed for the second consecutive time following their top 9 placement in the Philippines earlier this ear.
* Ireland last placed in 2010, Croatia in 2012, Great Britain and China in 2013 and Spain in 2014.
* It was a night of celebration for Ghana who has not placed since 1999.
* Sri Lanka had a massive reason to celebration. It was only the second time ever that they placed - the last being the very first time they competed in 1955 when their delegate finished third.
Photos courtesy of Reuters via News 24!